440BX and SDRAM

Erik Jansson erikjson at linuxmail.org
Tue Nov 18 09:25:01 CET 2003

Hi all!

I have been playing with  LinuxBIOS on motherboards with Intel's 440BX
chipset. I have  a whole bunch of them: a Microbits Epox EP-61 BXA-M,
an MSI MS6120 (dual), an Intel development board and a custom designed
BX board). I have managed to get most of the stuff up and running. Two
things are missing though...

1. I can't manage to initiate more than 128 MB of SDRAM (ramtest
fails). I've tried a lot of different types and brands of memories,
standard DIMMs and SO-DIMMS, different sizes, etc. I'm thinking it has
something to do with "double sided" memory (or dual "module banks" or
whatever terminology you choose). Buffer strength settings maybe? But
I've tried the same settings as the standard BIOS uses (which sets up
the memory correctly btw) and still no go. Some obscure bit in some
obscure register?

2. Dual CPU support on the MSI board.

My major concern is the memory support though.

I just thought that I'd throw out a question and see if somebody has been
or is working with the same thing and has bumped into something similar.
The archives tell me that there has been some fierce fighting with SDRAM
issues earlier and I see why... This stuff is complicated.

I'm running a LinuxBIOS from CVS dated 2003-11-04.

/Erik