HELP: VIA/EPIA Linux BIOS

Dinesh Shah dinesh at shahmicro.com
Wed May 28 10:30:01 CEST 2003

Hi Andrew and others,

1st thx Andrew for your reply.

However, I have few doubts and questions as bellow.

What I got -

	VIA EPIA MoBo with 800 MHz CPU and 2 MB Flash.

What I want -

	Replace existing BIOS with LinuxBIOS.
	Put Linux Kernel on Flash.
	Put initrd image on flash.
	Make self contained minimal system on flash.

What I know -

	How to compile my own kernel (2.4.x and 2.5.x)
	How to make initrd (uClibc and BusyBox)

What I did in past -

	Made a boot floppy (1.44 MB) with BusyBox, ModUtils, IPTables,
	thttpd, ssh, uClibc and udhcp (kernel+initrd)

What I think -

	BIOS+PIX+VidBIOS =< 384 KB (Within upper mem? from 640K to 1M Limits?)
	Have 1024 - 384 = 1664KB mem in Flash?

The doubts are -

	Can I use that 1664 KB Flash to put Kernel+InitRD to make system
	self content?
	Can I put LinuxBIOS on BIOS and ask it to load my kernel and
	InitRD from Flash?
	Do I have to retain VidBIOS? Some of my apps need X Server? I
	need to retain VidBIOS for VESA 2.0 and VESA FB?

The idea is to make the system self contained and not to depend on
network for booting. Whenever I want the system to boot of the network I
can use in-built PIX.

I can also upgrade my Flash to 4 MB if every thing can not be put on 2 MB.

Also I need to backup my existing BIOS+PIX+VidBIOS and restore if
something goes wrong. I don't have access to DOS oe Win. What are my
options?

I know these are lots of questions. Thx in advance for your time and
answers and pointers.

With warm regards,

--
--Dinesh Shah :-)