Reverse engineering

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Wed May 21 12:29:00 CEST 2003

Steve Gehlbach wrote:
> ollie lho wrote:
>
>> Then why a DVD player with DeCSS not a "interoperatable" software ?
>>

>   The reason is that the US legislature (apparently)
> only intended the reverse engineering exception to apply to
> interoperating with _software_, not movies.

I was working from memory here, and it has been pointed out to me that
the final DeCSS decision does not state this.  I don't recall where I
read this, maybe it was an interim opinion, maybe I have it completely
wrong.  So to be very accurate, you should read the final DeCSS opinion
yourself: http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/dvd/dvdopinion.pdf.

-Steve