AMD Sledge Hammer

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Wed May 21 12:27:00 CEST 2003

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [030516 22:45]:
> Andrew Ip <aip at cwlinux.com> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know what is the statue of AMD Hammer?  I have seen
> > it in freebios2, but would like to know how far it is from being
> > stable?  Thanks.
>
> The code works, for a subset of cases but it has a way to go before
> it is production grade code.
>
> I believe there is an AMD sponsored port going on at SuSe.  But I they
> guys I was working with have grown mysteriously silent.

SuSE (note spelling ;-) is working on LinuxBIOS for AMD Opteron. We
have a number of sponsors for the work. We have had early access to
the AMD documentation (even before it was public) and were allowed to
use it because we had to deal with similar confidentiality issues when
we did the 64-bit Linux port.

Currently you haven't heard much from us since we're facing some severe
problems with IOAPIC and local APIC initialization as well as booting
SMP machines and like to get this working first.

> As for me I am busy working on it, which means there will be a solid
> port eventually.

Eric did a really great job and without him the freebios2 port would be
nowhere close to where it is now. I'm positive that I can provide the
missing pieces shortly.

Best regards,
  Stefan Reinauer

--