config language

Peter Busser peter at trusteddebian.org
Tue May 20 10:29:00 CEST 2003

Hi!

> > Greg, what you've suggested looks to lend itself towards an XML type
> > markup.
> Thanks for the suggestions and looking at the idea, but we're not going
> XML. Sorry, but we've got a real bias here against using text markup
> languages for other purposes.

XML is not a text markup language. It is a markup language which describes data
where data can be almost anything. You would be using it here for the kind of
things it was designed for.

> Besides, Greg language is pretty, and the xml example is in my opionion
> kind of ugly ...

That is a matter of taste. Besides, XML is not meant to be read/edited by
humans, even though it is perfectly possible.

The biggest drawback is the complexity of XML parsing and (therefore) the size
of XML parsers.

> Other than that, however, sounds like you think Greg's idea is ok?

Groetjes,
Peter Busser