RFC:new superio proposal

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue May 13 22:44:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich wrote:

>On Tue, 13 May 2003, Bari Ari wrote:
>

>>The new super i/o structure of freebios2 should also account for these
>>changes.
>>

>any suggestions on how this should look? I can see a
>src/superio/<vendor>/microprocessor, to which you pass all these
>parameters, and which talks to the microprocessor to set them up. Would
>that be sufficient? What new parameters would it need?

Besides just setting a few bits in registers to config the super i/o,
one now has the option/ability to reload the binary firmware into the
flash memory of the super i/o to customize the board. The binary may be
64KB for some cpu based super i/o's.

Some examples of cpu based super i/o's

http://www.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/16bit/h8s/2100/index.html

Bari