EPIA success and problem

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Mon May 12 04:05:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:01:11PM +0900, ts1 wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:47:03AM -0600, ron minnich wrote:
> > > When I change MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL from 8 to 9,
> > > the problem disappears.
> >
> > This sounds like a timing problem.
>
> Note that in this case DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL is still 8,
> so printk_spew's are compiled in but does not really print anything.
>
> > probably not a bug, but probably something we have to figure out how to
> > work around.
>
> Ok, it sounds like a delicate thing anyway...

I removed most of lines from my vgainit.inc (which was originally posted by
Andrew Ip, and I modified), as far as VGA is enabled,
and the problem disappeared!

Registers 0xf8 and 0xf9 are not necessory either
(so, only 0xfb is the one to enable VGA),
but it might be safe to leave them.

Below is my current version of
src/northbridge/via/vt8601/vgainit.inc.

--
Takeshi

/* Frame buffer size in MBytes */
#ifndef SMA_SIZE
#define SMA_SIZE 8
#endif

#if SMA_SIZE==2
#define FBREG 0x90
#elif SMA_SIZE==4
#define FBREG 0xa0
#elif SMA_SIZE==8
#define FBREG 0xb0
#else
#error SMA_SIZE should be 2, 4, or 8 (MB)
#endif

        CS_WRITE($0xf8, $0x22) // DRAM arbitation timer - AGP, Host
        CS_WRITE($0xf9, $0x42) // DRAM arbitation timer - VGA priority, normal
        CS_WRITE($0xfb, $FBREG) // VGA enable