more superio

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri May 9 15:56:01 CEST 2003

Richard Smith <rsmith at bitworks.com> writes:

> ron minnich wrote:
>
> >> Can I add a mouse to the superio struct and the nlbconfig with out breaking
> >> everything?  or just wait until freebios2 and just handle it in superio.c?
> > let's fix this and get it right in freebios2. The overall approach of superio
> > is I think OK, but it clearly needs to move away from the generic structure to
>
> > a per-device type of structure, and we need a way to specify initialization of
>
> > that structure in the config file.
>
> Hmmmm.... I'll think about this.. but I'm a little time constrained right now...
>
> I worry about not giving it enought thought and coming up with something that
> will end up being undocumented and difficult to config.  Figureing out what all
> the config options do already is quite involved.
>
> I'm sure Eric will have some good ideas as well when he gets further along with
> freebios2.
>
> Maybe we should attempt to generate a list of requirements the new structure
> would need.  List members can then chime in on if it would meet thier needs or
> not.

How the structure stuff gets generated needs more work.
But it will definitely not be one structure it will be a list
of structures.  That way we can reuse a generic serial or irq
structure, and only invent new structures for new things that
come along.

This has been talked about some before but we haven't quite
got that far yet.

Eric