jmp INSTRUCTION IN boot.c fails and resets again , what couldbethe reason.

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at ndirect.co.uk
Thu May 8 15:15:01 CEST 2003

Hi All,
	I think a bug has been introduced somewhere in the Via vt8601 ram
initialisation which is causing this symptom.

I have a VIA Epia 5000 mainboard with 128M ram, and using a fresh checkout
from the CVS (when sourceforge finally let me :-) I built a fresh romimage.

While this linuxbios image correctly reported 127M of ram (I assume that 1M
grabbed by the vga chip) I kept seeing the fail, reset problem, where
linuxbios would reset before getting a chance to jump to the loaded elf
image.

After commenting out the bit in the northbridge sizeram routine which sets the
correct memory size, and just let it return the good old 64M, not only does
the Image boot and load correctly, but memtest86 (v2.9) loaded and started
running.

Does this give anyone any ideas as to the problem ?

Regards,
Mark.