jmp INSTRUCTION IN boot.c fails and resets again , what could be the reason.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Thu May 8 04:42:00 CEST 2003

* Deepak Kotian <dkotian3 at vsnl.net> [030507 20:55]:
> after putting some debug statements, it seems the LinuxBIOS resets
> after the jmp instruction is boot.c ( " jmp *%%eax\n\t" in jmp_to_elf_entry)
> fails.
> I am using ETHERBOOT payload with IDE support. Is it because the ram
> initialization is not proper or something, has anyone experienced this kind
> of problem.
>
> Any pointers, why it should fail over here.
>
> Clearing Segment: addr: 0x00000000000978d4 memsz: 0x0000000000004854
> Jumping to boot code at 0x94000
>
> LinuxBIOS-1.0.0 Thu May 1 04:29:36 IST 2003 starting...
> Ram1

I had the same thing after updating from etherbot 5.1.7 to 5.1.8 when I
forgot to change the config file to build for LinuxBIOS instead of PC
bios. I assume etherboot tries to call some intXX services early in that
case which might cause the reboot. Did not investigate further after it
worked though

Best regards,
  Stefan Reinauer

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra