My Linux bios FAQ/HOWTO preAlpha

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Tue May 6 21:42:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:32:52PM -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
> Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been building a FAQ/HOWTO based on all
> my experience getting LB up on our system.

This is an excellent writeup!

Put it on the web for all to see immediately.

> option PAYLOAD_SIZE = <n>
> 	default = ?
> 	Sets the size of the elf payload that is added to the LB rom image.

Could this be automated if it really is just the size of the payload?

Maybe I'm ahead of my time with this, but I'm thinking that the flash part
or at least the flash size should be the only required size/byte/addresswise
values in the configuration file and all of the rest be calculated.

This allows the build system to output a final file with correct size and
positioning of all blocks, alternatively an error. (e.g. "the specified
payload will not fit in your flash rom, are you trying to use the Linux
kernel with a small (2/4Mbit) memory?  Try etherboot or ADLO instead.")

//Peter