Hammer Documentation is now Available at AMD's website

Thomas J. Merritt tjm at codegen.com
Tue May 6 15:04:14 CEST 2003

|<><><><><> Original message from Eric W. Biederman  <><><><><>
|So far I have just skimmed the Documentation but it appears that
|AMD has now publicly published everything needed to do  Hammer
|LinuxBIOS port.
|
|No great surprise but it is nice to actually see it !
|
|Yeah!  The chaos with the Dual Athlons has finally paid off :)

It does appear that they have released all of the documentation
necessary.  The learning curve is pretty steep though.  There are
a lot of registers to program to make a box sing.  We have been
able to bring SmartFirmware up on our AMD Solo box.  It has taken
about 5 months to get to the point that we can now boot NetBSD.
We're currently unable to boot Linux, but making progress on that front.

On the LinuxBIOS front we're planning to leverage our x86-64 experience
and provide commercial support for LinuxBIOS on AMD64 processors.
With AMD's public release of the processor and chipset documentation we
should be releived of most of our NDA obligations, and this will now
become possible.  If anyone has hardware and is contemplating bring up
LinuxBIOS please let me know, since I don't want to duplicate effort if
we can avoid it.

TJ Merritt
tjm at codegen.com
1-925-462-4300 x115