IPMI support in Linux

Dale Harris rodmur at maybe.org
Wed Mar 26 19:21:00 CET 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:38:09PM -0800, Jim Garlick elucidated:

> Dale, not sure exactly what you're after here, but powerman has no connection
> with LinuxBIOS or IPMI.  It manages external remote power control devices
> (power strips with ethernet connections).
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, I'm probably just being stupid, to put it frankly.  Basically I
was wondering what power on/off functionality LinuxBIOS has, or if it
can use IPMI.  There have been updated drivers added the kernel in the
pass couple of months for IPMI, I assume that could be used by LinuxBIOS
to access that functionality on those boards that support IPMI.  I was
mainly curious if anyone had been doing any development in those areas.
My disconnect on powerman was just my failure to RTFM.  Sorry, for any
confusion.  ;-)

Dale