Universal Flashing tool

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Mar 14 12:46:01 CET 2003

Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> writes:

> I wonder if it doesn't make more sense to use the Linux MTD framework.
> I have begun porting devbios to it.  I have refactored devbios into two
> halves, devbios and a flash library/map library.  The MTD chip driver
> which uses the library is about half done.

I have been using the mtd drivers.

The usual mtd split is.
- Map driver
- probe driver
- cmdset.

And right now the MTD code has only 2 command sets that are every
really used.  The AMD and the Intel.  I guess there is a third command
set in the tree now.

And jedec_probe seems to go a good job of probing.

I think getting the /dev/bios code merged with the mtd code is
a good way to go.

> Perhaps then the LinuxBIOS flash tool can be split into a map driver
> (the shadow control stuff) and a chip driver for the individual flash
> chips, then included into MTD.

If we continue to maintain a user space tool, it should
definitely be factored into map/probe/and command set drivers
like the mtd kernel code.

Eric