Ram initialization and small c.

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Wed Mar 5 11:35:00 CET 2003

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

>>gcc is a long ways from doing this in registers without a
>>major re-write, which is probably about as much work as your implementation in
>>assy.  Very clever assy code, BTW.
>

> I just picked that code along with the nrv2b algorithm out of libucl.
> But I can at least recognize a good thing when I see it.

Yeah, I figured that out after staring at it and the C code for a while,
and then found it in the ucl library.  After manipulating the
decompression C-code for a while, I'm pretty convinced that compiling
this without spilling registers is a hard problem, even with a lot of
re-arraranging.     The assy code appears to take into account
additional information about the algorithm that is not readily apparent
from the C code, at least, that is the conclusion I came to after an
hour or so of analyzing it.

-Steve