Flashroms of more tha 2Mbits

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Mar 3 14:07:00 CET 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Bari Ari wrote:

> There are Flash parts available with densities up to 256Mbits. The
> problem is that motherboard layouts (and chipsets) have only enough
> address lines to access 2 Mbits of memory. So just replacing a 2Mb part
> with a larger one won't help.

Except for these lovely intel parts, the 82802? series. I am using one now
that is low pin count, but 1 Mbyte. how does intel do it? they use
address/address multiplexing, which in the limit by design will allow
parts of up to 256 MBYTES (or 28 bits of address if my math is wrong :-0)

Thus we will in the small low pin count package be able to fit linux
kernels once again. Lots of them! Very nice.

DoC parts just don't seem to be keeping up with these trends, and the
company has been hard to work with, which is why FreeBSD is dropping DoC
support in 6.0. Given the higher densities to come in LPC packages, and
the uncooperative attitude of the DoC vendor, I would say that the 82802?
series is going to be very popular.

ron