Laptops?

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Jun 24 23:32:01 CEST 2003

Jeff Carr wrote:

>I don't know any more than the output of lspci. I've not tried to open
>up the case to see the full board. I've still not been able to get power
>management to work after re-installing it with debian. (sound, USB 2.0
>and ethernet work ok.)
>
>Jeff
>
>FYI: The portable came without any sources. I sent a inquiry about how
>to get them on the website of the people that sold the machine to me,
>but no one responded. (A HUGE GPL violation.) When I re-installed with
>debian, I found the power management(and several other drivers) were
>only in the lindows kernel and I not been able to get them to work
>since. It doens't look like they drivers from the lindows kernel are in
>any of the kernel sources I can find. So, in that regard, angry about
>how "linux support" was provided for this portable would be too light of
>a description.

Not surprising on the loss of power management when you dropped Lindows.
They are probably using a laptop super I/O with a keyboard controller
(8051 micro with lots of GPIO) by SMSC or a micro by Renasas or Fujitsu
to handle the keyboard scan and power management.

Some descriptions of the firmware and what they use these micros for:

http://www.insydesw.com/solutions/pc/keyboard.htm

http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/phoenix+cme+firstbios/system+firmware/technologies/phoenix+multikey.htm

-Bari