new config language.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Jun 24 11:29:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [030624 17:23]:
> > On 24 Jun 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >
> > > I am seeing some odd problems with SST LPC flash chips and any other
> > > data point would be interesting...  The chips look like they are dropping
> > > commands for no good reason.
> >
> > I heard a similar report recently but the chip was an 82802ab, and the
> > mobo was a supermicro x5 series ... seems like timing problems are "going
> > around"

I have seen one or two problems on the x5. But it is quite rare, I'd say
a 1 in 100 or so.  With the SST I am seeing problems on every chip of the
appropriate model every time I flash.  Though with 64bit kernels I see
fewer problems.

> With devbios you _have_ to disable the nmi watchdog, otherwise it will
> just kick the dd command out of a write or erase cycle. I hope mtd is
> written cleaner, but i dont know.

Yes mtd is.  The code calls schedule has smp locks etc.  I'm not certain
another data point will do me any good.  But I can hope.  When code
is stable and you start putting it to more use you see a whole new
set of problems, because it is being used more.  And I am at that
stage with the MTD drivers.

I really appreciate the good factoring of the code.  So far there are
only 3 real drivers for NOR flash.   One for the Intel command set,
one for the AMD command set, and one for some weird command set.
Then you have them map drivers which know how to find the flash
devices.  And then there is jedec_probe which knows how to map
the device id's to the command set, and chip size.  Or cfi_probe if
you are so lucky on having and a nice flash chip.

Eric