LinuxBios PPC-support.. U-Boot project

Greg Watson gwatson at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 23 18:18:00 CEST 2003

At 3:47 PM -0600 23/6/03, ron minnich wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, David Eliasson wrote:
>
>>  I read on the linuxbios webpage about PPC-support.. Aren t you guys
>>  aware of the U-boot project?
>
>Sure.
>
>>  They've been running the GNU Linux kernel 2.4.19 and 2.4 21 in firmware
>>  for a while now.. Maybe I m just missing something, but I thought some
>>  merging of efforts might be in place..
>
>I tried to have a conversation with somebody from u-boot about some sort
>of merge, but it never got beyond the "why u-boot is better than
>linuxbios" stage, so I dropped it.

I spent some time looking at PPCBoot (now called u-boot) before I did
the PPC port of linuxbios, but in the end I didn't use much. Most of
the "hard" stuff came from another open source bios project called
GBios, particularly the PCI code.

The major advantages that linuxbios has over u-boot is the
flexibility it provides in configuration management, and now that it
has been ported to 3+ architectures, the architecture dependencies
are particularly well defined.

Greg