Laptops?

Adam Agnew agnew at cs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 23 17:42:00 CEST 2003

The best solution for that is the "BIOS Savior". Check the Linuxbios
archives or the web to learn more about that. On many of our boards, you
don't have to lift the prom to write it, they can be programmed in place,
you'll just have to lift them when you screw up (expect to) :) Or, there
are EPROM emulators. Many solutions..

However, I doubt your laptop has a DIP32 socket and is more likely to
have a TSOP40 directly on the board. You should definitely check first.

If you have a TSOP40, you will need to have the TSOP40 extracted and a
"coffin" put in its place. For that, some of us have used Century
Technology, Inc in San Fransisco (the guys name is Henry Ho,
hho at century-technology.com) though i'm sure there are other places which
will do it.

You can mail them just the mainboard, and they'll extract your TSOP40 and
put a socket in its place for a pretty reasonable price. That's just so
you can program your TSOP40 in a prom programmer, or get a backup TSOP40
so you'll have a working BIOS if you mess up and then you could switch
the two.

Adam Agnew
Independent Contractor
www.adamagnew.com