new config language.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jun 20 19:52:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 20 Jun 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Ron I have been using the MTD drivers and we have been having good luck
> > here.
>
> so from e.g. a 2.4.19 kernel I should be able to modprobe the right mtd
> bits and get a /dev/mtd0, right?

Pretty close the latest code is not in 2.4.19.  There should
be more in 2.4.21.  It is a challenge getting a kernel with drivers
for the latest hardware.

> What's the physical address of the flash part? 0xfff8xxxx? This box I have
> is in 64-bit mode and I'm no longer sure of what is addressed where.

On the opteron, fun.  The answer is that the map drivers handles that part.
But you will probably need the latest from the mtd cvs tree.

The modules I think you want are:
mtdchar
amd76x
jedec_probe
cfi_cmdset_2

I'm a little fuzzy as I usually build everything but the map drivers
into the kernel.  Basically you don't want the map driver loaded when
you hot swap chips as that confuses it, because it doesn't have the
concept of hot-plug.

Eric