power connectors for mainboards

Peter Fedorow fedorowp at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 16:21:01 CEST 2003

I also have a need for multicomputer (motherboard only) ATX power
supplies.  Chances are we aren't the only ones, so perhaps it wouldn't
hurt to suggest such a product to a high quality power supply manufacturer?

My requirements don't necessitate the motherboard being able to turn off
it's power.

Within the next 6 months I expect to need:

20-60 units : At up to $30 / computer

When I have the budget approved for them I'm thinking of contacting PC
Power and Cooling to see if they're interested.  Their Turbo-Cool 425
ATX/ATX12V in 12-31 units is on sale for $125.74 each right now, and its
rated at:
+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 20A
-5V @ .3A
-12V @ 1A
+3.3v @ 40A
+5VSB @ 2A
(With +5 and +3.3 combined < 300W)

They're very conservatively rated power supplies, and I've never had one
fail, (even in the most brutal environment I know of on computers schools.)

The only power output limitation I see for the purpose is the 5VSB
power.  Some NICs (particularly Gigabit, and older 100 Mbs ones,) draw
more than that for the WOL.  But as the computers are diskless I don't
have a need for that feature.

How many quad output power supplies do you expect to need?