K8 + 2.4.21 + Tyan S2880

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Jul 21 18:06:01 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 21 Jul 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Next time I get to it I intend to start honoring the inline keyword.
> > The problem is that it inlines everything and creates code bloat.
>
> hmm, I'll be wanting to see how you solve the call stack problem :-)

Well routines that are only called once will still get inlined.

And with 24 registers I have a lot more freedom, than with just 8.

Historically Fortran did not have a call stack and it made procedure
and function calls just fine.  The same techniques with registers instead
of hard coded memory locations should work fine.

> > So far it is working well enough and there are other priorities that I
> > have not come back to it.  It is my goal that before the 2.0 release
> > I can fit everything back into 64K for fallback again.  It is not
> > critical now but it is a warning sign of troubles ahead.
>
> Personally, for now, I think it's fine.

You haven't had your debug code fail to compile because linuxbios goes
over the 64K limit yet either.

Eric