Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Jul 21 02:26:01 CEST 2003

John Praveen wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, John Praveen wrote:
>
> > I am new to linux bios. My project is based on
> > geode chip. I want my linux OS to be in Flash ROM(capacity 4 MB).
>
> >I have sad news. You can't get a 4 MB chip on that board, I bet.
>
>            I can't get to this. This means that 4 MB Flash ROM cannot
> be used with SC1200? Or is it not supported in LinuxBIOS. Plz help me
> to understand these.

The SC1200 can address up to 16MB of memory on the ISA bus (which is
where the Flash Rom would be located for the BIOS if strapped for ISA
BIOS ROM seek after reset) or it can use the LPC bus (if strapped for
LPC BIOS ROM seek after reset). This is what the SC1200 is capable of if
you're designing your own board. It's just unlikely that if you're using
an off the shelf board that it will support >2MB of flash ROM on ISA. If
it uses an LPC ROM then it's probably soldered down and a 2MB device.
LinuxBIOS can support a 4MB device or up to a 4GB flash ROM (if they
actually existed).