IDE chipsets and hdd hotswap

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Sat Jul 19 13:45:01 CEST 2003

Maybe I should clarify.  I'm not designing a board.  I just want to
identify and IDE controller, integrated or not, that has complete Linux
support for PIO/UDMA tuning (and tri-state but many support this) so
that after hot-swap (which will power cycle the drive, change the model,
etc.), the drive and controller can be configured without rebooting to
get the BIOS involved.

My logic for asking on the LinuxBIOS list is that since LinuxBIOS does
the basics from power on, and Linux finishes things, *everything* that
is needed must be there if UDMA works with Linux/LinuxBIOS, and all that
I have to do is move some code around so the hdparm -U/-R and -b stuff
is a bit easier to work with.

So, I guess my question should be: Does anyone have and IDE drive
working  with UDMA under LinuxBIOS/Linux?  If so, please tell me what
chipset(s).

Thanks,

Jeremy