K8 + 2.4.21 + SuSE 64-bit mode + Arima HDAMA + 49LF040 + MTD

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jul 11 23:19:00 CEST 2003

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> I switch to RH preview AMD 64 to build the kernel now the MB can finish the
> booting.
>
> I also try to boot local HD in normal boot.  I use hda1 to store elf (
> Kernel+RAM disk). But LinuxBIOS seems don't recogonize the elf format. And
> failed.

Hmm. Odd.  OTOH I have serious suspicions about the general reliability of
ide_stream.c

> I have use tg3.zelf to substitute the elf in the HD. LinuxBIOS can load it
> from HD and execute it.

Cool.  I am still wresting with a strange 8131 issue that is slowing that
part down for me.  But I do have an eepro100 working when plugged in.

> Any idea to produce ELF for HD booting. Or LinuxBIOS now only support 23bit
> elf?

Well there is not 23bit elf :)

The etherboot code ide_disk.zelf or something like tg3--ide_disk.zelf should
work and supports both 32bit and 64bit binaries.

Currently the builtin ELF loader can either be compiled for 32bit of 64bit ELF
but it cannot handle both simultaneously and the choice is made depending
on the platform LinuxBIOS was compiled for.

Earlier you said you had gotten SMP working.  Would you like to share the
patch?

Eric