Boot from etherboot - blocked by INT 10

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jan 10 02:19:01 CET 2003

"Lawrence LL. Dai" <lawrence at tyanchina.com> writes:

> Hi, Eric
>
> 	I suppose that mknbi and mkelf would also cause this problem.Because
> they both tag a kernel, but the kernel must be the one like vmlinuz and vmlinux
> needs BIOS functions such as INT 10. (I know vmlinux does not need INT X, but
> vmlinux can not be tagged by mknbi and mkelf. Or I have missed something else?)

The difference is mknbi/mkelf that come standard with etherboot when
the process the linux kernel start the kernel in 16bit mode and run
it's BIOS code,  mkelfImage  simulates the effect of the 16bit BIOS
code by reading LinuxBIOS tables or making the needed BIOS calls
itself, and then it enters Linux at it's unofficial 32bit entry
point.

mkelfImage can take either a bzImage or a vmlinux.

Eric