about E7501

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jan 10 00:48:01 CET 2003

"Terry B. Chen" <terryc at tyanchina.com> writes:

> Sorry, I do not mean I have finished the porting, I just read the raminit.inc
> about E7500, now I am reading E7501 and E7500 Intel bios specification. I try to
> find the difference between two chipsets. But I am raw in ram
> initialization. The part is so complex. I want to get help from you.

You missed the smiley :)

So you don't get daunted actual ram initialization is not particularly hard.

The hard parts are:
- The code must be in assembly
- computing the timing parameters from SPD EEPROMs on the DIMMs.
- handling arbitrary DIMMs

My hunch is there will not need to be too many changes except in the places
the DIMMs give their timing information in nanoseconds, and the chipset wants
that information in clock cycles.

Eric