are there problems with this email? - what is a disc on chip? - beginner's question

Andrew Ip aip at cwlinux.com
Thu Jan 9 05:17:00 CET 2003

> The point is that I want linuxbios to powerup my living-room computer in
> the shortest possible time: it is a satellite digital videorecorder (and
> it has a big hard disk for this reason) which by now takes far too much
> time to powerup (43seconds, many taken by the BIOS). How much time
> should I expect for a 'local disk' init 1 linuxbios boot?
It takes about 1 sec from power up to loading kernel from localdisk.  With CF
card, you don't even worry about harddisk spin-up.  To speed up everything, you
can even remove ide driver which takes about couple sec to load, from the
kernel.  Then, mount your rootfs as ramdisk.  It can be done by mkelfImage.
However, you can't modify any data with this config.  I guess it is ok for vdr.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Ip
Email:  aip at cwlinux.com
Tel:    (852) 2542 2046
Fax:    (852) 2542 2036
Mobile: (852) 9201 9866

Cwlinux Limited
Unit 202B 2/F Lai Cheong Factory Building,
479-479A Castle Peak Road,
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon,
Hong Kong.

Tel: (852)2542 2046