are there problems with this email? - what is a disc on chip? - beginner's question

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Wed Jan 8 20:46:00 CET 2003

Greetings,

For many mainboards, 256K is the limit due to not having all of the pins
connected. 512 is a harder limit imposed by the 32 available pins on the
flash chip. DoC gets around that by having page flipping built in (sort of
like EMM from back in the 8088 days).

Newer chipsets and motherboards get around the address line limit using
either LPC interface (a serialization of ISA into a much smaller pin
count), or firmware hub (more or less Intel's take on LPC).

It is quite possible to get LinuxBIOS and a loader such as Etherboot into
a conventional flash. From there the options for loading the kernel
include network, IDE drive, or CF. A little work will allow floppy or
CDROM.

G'day,
sjames

--
-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701