Configuring DRAM register using SPD.

sivakumar sivakumar.subramani at wipro.com
Mon Jan 6 08:58:01 CET 2003

Hi,

I am using spd_82801.c file to get the SPD values of the my DDR SDRAM. I have checked the values and it seem to be correct.
Now I want to program the DRAM registers. When I was browsing the 440gx code, I could found that these SPD values are not used directly to
get the DRAM register value.

I could not  understand the step used to calculate the DRAM register values. In the specification I could see only the description of DRAM register, not the
steps to calculate the value of DRAM register. Where can I find those steps? How do you get to know for the 440gx ? Is it ok to hardcode the values ?
I am going for this option because our system is a embedded system, so the configuration will not change.

Also while browsing the 440gx code, I found that  most of the register are left with default values. Can any one giving some idea about the set of registers which I need to
program. I have attached the output of the SPD program. But how to calculate the DRAM register values like DRB, DRT, DRC,FDHC and etc.,

The Output of the SPD_82801.c file on my DDR SDRAM:

[root at wipro2 scanspd]# ./spd_82801ba
dev=1f, fn=3
IO_BASE=5000
After reset status 0x40
SLOT 0
After reset status 0x40
Number of bytes used by module manufacturer 0x80
After reset status 0x40
Memory Type 0x07 ---------------> DDR SDRAM
After reset status 0x40
Number of Row Address bits 0x0d