Recommended dual Athlon motherboards

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Jan 5 00:20:01 CET 2003

Jeremy Jackson <jerj at coplanar.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I've been looking at the Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466).
> What is Guiness referring to?

It was a code name of the Tyan S2462.

> Might a comparison of PCI config registers or MSRs after OEM BIOS init
> and cold boot reveal something?  Power management actually helps, since
> all registers must be read/write (as opposed to write only - like VGA
> Pallette snoop) so PM can save context on suspend.  Does LinuxBIOS go
> far enough to get the serial port working?

I suspect more than anything the warm reboot case is more luck than
anything else.  I remember there are some checks in the code that will
skip a practically all of the early setup in assembly if the machine
is already operational.

> I'm going to buy a board, is there any chance it can be done without an
> ICE?

I haven't used one yet...

And we currently have a mostly working port, though I don't
know where we are on the release cycle for that.

>From what I have seen of it the differences are almost totally due to the
different southbridge.  The AMD2466 vs AMD2468.

Eric