Ram initialization and small c.

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Wed Feb 26 20:41:01 CET 2003

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> The requirements of these small tweaks when building are why I am convinced
> that in the long run we need actual compiler support.  Either in gcc or
> in one we write ourselves.  For now we have an easier way to generate the
> assembly code.

Actually I don't mind the inline tweaking approach and I think it is
easier to write and debug than assy, but others will disagree.

My concern is that a register-only compiler may be an intractable
problem, and any way you go at it (custom or .md file for gcc) you will
have to tweak and craft the C code just as much.  If in fact this is
true, then the benefit over inlining gcc seems minimal.  Wish there were
a way to answer this question before you invest a month of time.

-Steve