2 questions.. 1. laptops and linuxbios, 2. bios-savior for laptops?

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Thu Feb 20 11:48:01 CET 2003

Nicholas Mistry wrote:

>ok, sorry for the dual post, but they are somewhat related.
>
>1.  I havent really put much thought to using linuxbios on a laptop, but a
>recent post has planted a bug in my brain to try and get it to work on
>some of the older laptops i have laying around.    How many people have
>tried to get linux bios on their laptops, and how well does it work.

The trick with laptops is getting LinuxBIOS to work along with the
system/power management controller. I'd suggest working with the SiS
based laptops or the new Intel Centrino
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/mobile/index.htm?iid=devnav_btn1+hw_chip_mobile&#852GM
laptops and tablets that are now or very soon to pop up everywhere.

Several vendors are using the Hitachi H8s
http://www.hitachisemiconductor.com/sic/jsp/japan/eng/products/mpumcu/816bit/h8s/index.html
for a system/power management controller. Which has a rich development
environment
http://www.hitachisemiconductor.com/sic/jsp/japan/eng/products/mpumcu/tool/download/crosstool/h8/h8v5003.html
unfortunately only for windowz and Solaris. Depending on the vendor the
security feature may not be enabled on the H8s F-ZTAT (flash) so
firmware may be modified, otherwise you'll have to get LinuxBIOS to work
around it.

Another issue is that video BIOS is combined with the system BIOS since
many laptops use chipsets with integrated graphics. Getting your hands
on the video BIOS binary may be a problem. Don't even ask for video BIOS
source since the binary is typically released along with a modification
tool that does not require the BIOS source for modification.

Most 830 based designs also use the H8s but will probably soon disappear
from store shelves.

Bari