via epia, pchips 787cl+

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 19 14:40:01 CET 2003

Alexander Amelkin <spirit at reactor.ru> writes:

> Hello Eric,
>
> Wednesday, February 19, 2003, 4:32:39 AM, you wrote:
>
> EWB> Alexander Amelkin <spirit at reactor.ru> writes:
>
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >>   The linuxbios status comments for via epia say "etherboot" only.
> >>   Does that mean that epia won't be able to boot from a local ide hard
> >>   drive?
>
> EWB> Nope, etherboot supports booting from the local ide hard drive,
> EWB> at least as well as the native LinuxBIOS IDE code does.
>
> Cool! Can you tell me how critical that "problem with irq routing
> table" is on VIA EPIA?

I wouldn't know.

> >>   Are there any plans to implement the support for
> >>   lilo/whatever booting from the hard drive on epia?
>
> EWB> Things are gradually improving.  Those of us who think a development
> EWB> machines has a 1000 motherboards don't always see the point in booting
> EWB> off a local hard drive :)
>
> I didn't understand what you meant

That last couple of machines I played with LinuxBIOS on were:
MCR A cluster with roughly 1200 nodes.
Pink (for Ron Minnich) with roughly a 1000 nodes.

> but the fact that etherboot
> supports booting from a local hard disk is very good.

While there is support for booting off of the hard drive
we don't have all of the usability issues ironed out yet.
In particular you can boot one thing off of the hard drive
and lilo/whatever don't work yet.

Eric