linuxbios build problems

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 12 10:01:01 CET 2003

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 12 Feb 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Then someone modified intel_chip_post to change it's behavior
> > when SERIAL_POST is called to output the post code to the serial port.
>
> OK, will the guilty party please confess to me in private no need to
> bother the list :-)
>
> > If we want post codes to show up on the serial port even from the assembly
> > code we need to introduce another macro, and carefully replace the users
> > of intel_chip_post.  Rather than change the calling conventions of
> > intel_chip_post.
>
> ok. I'll do that.
>
> But I'm not sure it is a good idea to have a common linuxbios.a for both
> the compressed image and the initial image. The error was very hard for
> people to understand. At least this is what I think is going on, since
> symbols from one image were referenced from another, and the only way I
> could see this happening was that the 1st and 2nd stage symbols were all
> in the one .a
>
> comments?

I am not certain this is happening.  I guess we need to track down
the multiple _start issue and see how that was triggered.  In general
everything in the 1st stage is included into crt0.S, so it has no need
to look at linuxbios.a.  So if something needs to happen it should
just be a small tweak of the rules.

Ron you added a global to crt0.S and crt0.o was then linked with
the 2nd stage.  I guess the bug is that somehow crt0.o is being added
to linuxbios.a.  That looks like a leftover from before
CONFIG_COMPRESS.

O.k. I have tracked the problem down.  crt0.o is being manually added
to OBJECTS-1 by util/config/NLBConfig.py.  And OBJECTS-1 is used to
populate linuxbios.a  So we should be able to change one line of code
and the multiple _start issue will go away.

Part of the problem was is that someone was using 1st stage defines
in the 2nd stage, which is quiet unexpected.  intel_chip_post is
possibly the one define that is safe to use both places.

Eric