rtl8139 NIC IRQ is 0 on m758lmr+ mainboard

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Feb 11 23:25:01 CET 2003

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 riskin at 263.net wrote:
>
> > Hi,ron,
> >
> > >oh, wait, is this 2.2 kernel? I forget now.
> >
> > Yes. The kernel version is 2.2.14.
>
> I can't help you then. 2.2 just won't do the right things for IRQs.

2.2 was o.k. with an SMP kernel, and an MP table in LinuxBIOS.  The
other cases it failed with.  We were just happy when we could load 2.2
and we quickly switched to 2.3.x.  The 2.4.x kernel code for assigning
interrupts from irqs is not to bad, if you want to look at putting
it into LinuxBIOS to support your 2.2.x kernel....

> We're going to have to get linuxbios to set this stuff up.
>
> I made a first stab but ran out of time, will have to try again
> later.

The interesting variant which is coming up is MSI.  Interrupts
over the pci bus, as specified in pci 2.3, pci-x 2.0 and pci-express.

The interrupt story keeps getting more complicated, not less...

Eric