linuxbios build problems

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Feb 11 10:26:01 CET 2003

I am going to continue on this but it will be slow, I have a lot going on.

The basic problem as I see it is that there is a little more magic in the
build process than it can stand, and specific platforms are breaking.

In c_start.S and the constructed crt0.S there is a symbol called _start.
Same name. There are also, in these files, a set of symbols that on some
builds are needed for that build. So we need the .o from both files in
some builds. But the conflicting _start symbols are causing trouble.

Simple attempts to change the name of the start symbol (e.g. change _start
in crt0.S to _machine_reset_start) lead to a host of other undefined
symbols, since once the _start is undefined, that file is not pulled in
and the symbols in that file are not resolved.

I would rather not get into 'weak' symbols in assembly code files.

Anyway, if anyone gets a chance to look at this and has some ideas ... let
me know. But we need to fix this situation.

ron