giving the user a boot option

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Thu Feb 6 23:42:00 CET 2003

> > > Grub offers some booting
> > > flexibility that I need, and since it is C code, also is more easily
> > > customized for some other things I need to do during boot (embedded
> > > application).
> >
> > Linuxbios + Etherboot, surely?

I missed this reply earlier because my mail server died :-(.

Couple of Q's about etherboot:  Does it support the text vga screen/keyboard
without a legacy BIOS?  I am not clear on how you specify the boot drive,
maybe -DDEFAULT_BOOTFILE=/dev/hda? Can it boot Linux from a particular
partition (/dev/hda1) or only from the beginning of the disk (I assume
scanning for an elfimage)?  My product must boot without a network
connection, and requires vga console/keyboard.

-Steve