Booting VxWorks from LinuxBios

Felix Radensky felix at allot.com
Wed Feb 5 10:19:00 CET 2003

Hi, folks

I'm trying to boot our VxWorks based application from using
LinuxBios.  On our board we have 512K Flash and 16M CF.
VxWorks image is several megs in size, so I put it on CF.

I use linuxbios and VxWorks boot loader, which is essentially
a stripped down VxWorks kernel with 32-byte a.out header
removed, to create a flash romimage.  The idea is to let linuxbios
load VxWorks boot loader into memory and let it load VxWorks
from CF.

Essentially, I've simply mimicked the romimage creation steps,
just instead of linux kernel I use VxWorks bootloader.

I can see that bootloader is successfully uncompressed into RAM,
but nothing happens after I jump to it's code. According to VxWorks
docs, bootloader should be copied to address 0x8000. I've tried to modify
do_inflate.c and linuxbiosmain.c to load and jump to this address,
but gunzip  returned error.

Now the question. Do you think this approach can work, or I am
I doing something entirely wrong ?

Should I convert a.out image of VxWorks bootloader into binary image.

Can I modify  linuxbios code to allow  VxWorks boot loader to be loaded
at 0x8000 ?

Any other ideas will be much appreciated.

TIA.

Felix.