440BX

Jeffrey Knight jefight at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:49:00 CET 2003

Some questions from a newbie ....

I have an Intel motherboard with PII and a MP440BX PCI chipset.
I know that I can do a software upgrade my BIOS using the iflash.exe
util from intel.  I'm trying to figure out if I can make linuxBios work.
The motherboard is listed as supported.

There's no docs under freebios\freebios\HOWTO\ for 440BX; is building for
the 440BX analogous to building for the L440GX?  (I see the
l440bx-test12.config file in the util directory.)

Thinking that steps for 440BX might be similar to those for L440GX, I
followed the HOWTO for L440GX and grabbed a 2.4.0-test12 kernel.
But according to the HOWTO for L440GX, I need to patch the kernel with:
freebios\src\kernel_patches\linux-2.4.0-test12-l440gx.patch
which doesn't exist.

Yet according to the HOWTO at \freebios\src\kernel_patches\HOWTO:
"For 440BX users: irq_route.diff is Tyson Sawyer's patch to properly handle
LINUXBIOS kernels. It has been tested on 2.4.0-test6 kernels."
... so should I use a 2.4.0-test6 instead of a 2.4.0-test12 kernel, and
patch it with irq_route.diff for a 440BX?

Thanks for your help!
Jeff