about VGA support in voyager2 board

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Fri Aug 29 05:55:00 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:51:41AM -0600, ron minnich wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, SONE Takeshi wrote:
>
> > (I studied these code to implement my own 32-bit legacy services
> > but abandoned it because vm86 starts looking inevitable...)
>
> Why not use the emulation instead, so we can support PPC etc.?

I'm interested in more complete PCBIOS functionality, like ADLO,
rather than something just for running option ROMs.
(Running LILO in an emulator wouldn't be really useful!)

I'm thinking on possibility of implementing BIOS *services* in
real mode, and initialization (POST), including option ROM
handling, in 32-bit.

Services can be written in normal C. They will be built into a realmode
SystemBIOS image when built for x86, and for non-x86, they will be
compiled natively and linked together with x86 emulator.
Only entry/exit routines (to/from 16-bit code, eg. VGABIOS) will
make the difference.

--
Takeshi