about VGA support in voyager2 board

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Aug 27 13:08:00 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 04:14:42PM +0900, SONE Takeshi wrote:
> > you need to confirm that int #5 is a VSA interrupt of some sort.
>
> I don't know what VSA is, but int 6 is the Invalid Opcode Exception,

VSA is the name of a NSC system to allow for software implementations of
legacy hardware. VSMs (Virtual System Modules) load themselves e.g. from
option ROM or part of the BIOS and tell VSA that IO reads and writes to
this-and-that address should be trapped, and sent to the VSM for proper
handling instead.

E.g. audio and USB require a VSM on SCx2xx/GX1+CS5530 systems, which I
believe the voyager2 is.

Unfortunately I don't remember if VSA can be used to trap interrupts as
well, but I agree with Ron and Mr. Takeshi that this is likely the VGA BIOS
scribbling over the interrupt table, if that's located at 400h.

//Peter