EPIA Linuxbios strangeness

SONE Takeshi ts1 at tsn.or.jp
Sun Aug 17 15:10:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:42:04AM -0500, Jeff Noxon wrote:
> 2) I can't do a software reboot either.  The machine just goes dead if
> I try "init 6" or any variation of the reboot command.

Setting bit 1 of ISA bridge register 4F does a system reset.
I have these lines instead of /sbin/reboot in /etc/init.d/reboot
(Debian system).

    sleep 1
    setpci -s 0:11.0 4f.b=9

For power-off, I'm using a small program in /etc/init.d/halt.
It is something like the one I posted to this list before
(now with the daemon mode to watch the power-button hit).

However, these things should eventually go in the kernel.
Userspace solutions ignore shutdown callbacks in the kernel,
so it might be dangerous. For me these things work well,
probably helped by "sleep 1" to allow the drive to flush its
writeback cache..

> 3) If I unplug it & plug it back in, the power stays off.

It needs some programming to the supersouth.

--
Takeshi