Etherboot in the BIOS?

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at cis.ksu.edu
Fri Aug 15 10:24:42 CEST 2003

According to the FAQ, it's possible to boot Linux using Etherboot with
LinuxBIOS.  This appears to be a pretty simple and straightforward
process, but I was wandering if it were possible to render the system
unbootable?  That is, is it posible that overwriting the BIOS will cause
boot to fail (because of misconfiguration, etc.)?  If this happens, is
there anyway to recover?  What are the pitfalls and how can I avoid them?

The idea of overwriting the BIOS makes me a bit nervous, but the
potential benefits of this boot-up process could save us quite a bit
when it comes to configuring our clustered systems.

Thanks,
Sterling

--
  Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
  sterling at hanenkamp.com / sterling at cis.ksu.edu

  Keep me informed on the behaviour of this kernel..  As the
  "BugFree(tm)" series didn't turn out too well, I'm starting a new
  series called the "ItWorksForMe(tm)" series, of which this new
  kernel is yet another shining example.
                       -- Linus, in the announcement for 1.3.29