smp, newconfig, hdama

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 12 23:10:00 CEST 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> devbios generally knows how to do this for certain chipsets, including
> the 440. Unfortunately some mainboard vendors additionaly protect flash
> write with some undocumented GPIO circuit, so supporting the chipset
> alone is not enough. There is not much you can do except gnireenigne
> esrever existing firmware or trying out all possible GPIO lines (and
> combine them etc) The first is probably illegal in some countries, the
> second might destroy your hardware, esp. on laptops.

I did in fact try all GPIO combinations on the T23 GPIO lines, as well as
on the T22.  Interestingly enough, some of them will reset the laptop. But
I never found the combination, after much work, that would open up SPD or
enable FLASH write. Some of these designers put an extra flipflop in such
that the control bits are "sticky" -- you can turn the SPD off, for
example, but not back on.

We found out how to do this type of thing on the L440GX, and the hardware
was not simple.

ron