Supporting extension ROMs and beyond...

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Tue Aug 12 10:10:01 CEST 2003

* ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [030812 16:06]:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, ron minnich wrote:
>
> > > compiling v86bios.vm86 from above I get everything into 20k.
>
> not the emulator, surely. Just the bios support code, right?

yes.

> The x86 emulator need to support the needs of an expansion rom bios is ca.
> 150K at best.

> The BIOS support code is tiny -- I'm not surprised at 20k.

But that 20k is all you ever need on x86 machines. the 150k are still
useful for non-x86 platforms out there where 150k of flash are probably
cheaper than buying hardware that is reported to work without option
rom. Most non-x86 platforms come with bigger eeproms than average x86
machines anyways.
Gzip on testbios (full blown x86emu + bios support code) shrinks the size
from 150k down to 53k here.

Stefan