Supporting extension ROMs and beyond...

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 11 11:41:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, ron minnich wrote:

> For linuxbios to succeed in future, we'll need support for these two
> things. I think this is a lamentable state of affairs. But that's how it
> is.
>
> I think long-term the best way to fix it for all architectures is via
> emulation, but for the immediate-term we can make callback/binary support
> for the common(-est) case: the x86.

I contradict myself. Either we need callbacks or we don't. If we get
emulation, we don't need them. Sorry for my confusing note.

Eric, I am sympathy with what you are saying. There is a reality here --
people want VGA and they want it on early. I want to accomodate this.

Is emulation a suitable, architecture-independent way to achieve this?
I'm thinking it might be. Can we then build it in as an option when we
build a linuxbios?

thanks

ron