Floppy drives and Linux BIOS

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 11 01:27:01 CEST 2003

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Here's a question that's definitely going to keep me up nights. Can a
properly configured and working Linux BIOS image, boot something else
via the floppy drive, in this case a normal 3.5 drive setup as the A
drive?

Well at least from the point of view of the motherboard with its
original BIOS, it would be setup as the A drive. Basically our friends
at FSMLabs market the RTLinux kits. They also make available the same
thing under the GPL license, I still haven't figured if there is a
loss of functionality between the two. At some point they were working
on a floppy drive sized version of the product.

Before committing to having a working Linux BIOS image based on it,
what I am leaning towards is having the chosen image boot the floppy
drive sized version, and then facilitate whatever tests I, (or my
staff), have in mind. Probably between two or more machines, with one
of them being the lucky one with the working Linux BIOS image on it,
in place of the commodity BIOS. I suspect they all would need to be
the same machine for this to work. And of course the company
unofficially tells me that they have actually discontinued work on
this floppy drive sized version of their product. So far, I can't seem
to get them to tell me why.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi