Flashing Bios Success...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Apr 30 14:07:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 10:38, ron minnich wrote:
> the file you want is called romimage.
Ok but the file romimage is 900K and my flash is but a measly 256K here
is my config file...

# Sample config file for Arbor PIA 671 SBC with DoC Millennium (as root)
# This will make a target directory of ./arbour
target arbor
mainboard arbor/pia-671
# Enable Serial Console for debugging
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1
option TTYS0_BAUD=115200
option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=9
#option DEBUG=1

# Use 256KB Standard Flash as Normal BIOS
#option RAMTEST=1
option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
option STD_FLASH=1
#option ZKERNEL_START=0xfffc0000
option ROM_SIZE=262144

# use DOC MIL
#option USE_DOC_2000=1
#docipl northsouthbridge/sis/530/ipl.S

# Use the internal VGA frame buffer device
option HAVE_FRAMEBUFFER=1

# Path to your kernel (vmlinux)
linux /usr/src/linux

# Kernel command line parameters
commandline root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0

The other question I have is this, the linux /usr/src/linux line points
to my kernel, but I'm wondering, when I normally build a kernel I copy
from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and not
/usr/src/linux/vmlinux so what exactly is the vmlinux part in /usr/src
and what is it used for? I mean I can see by using file that vmlinux us
a ELF File and all that, and bzImage is a x86 boot sector. but well, I
normally copy bzImage over and that is it... so don't know what the
vmlinux file is used for to tell you the truth, and up until now didn't
know it existed... Is that *supposed* to be the kernel I use to boot or
the vmlinux file?

--
Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca>
Gnat Solutions